The development of research and educational programmes at The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, The School of Design reflects the development of Danish design and crafts. For more than 135 years, The School of Design has contributed to the development of Danish design with an international reach.
The school is founded on the Nordic design tradition, where functionality and aestetics go hand in hand with business sense. Today The Danish Design School is a mordern, business-oriented design school where new partnerships, ambitious visions and new technologies go hand in hand with creative artistic development and professional innovation.
This is the history of The School of Design.
1875 - The School of Drawing and Art Industry
Was founded in 1875 by the Danish Women's Society in premises leased from the Industrial Association. The object of the School was to "provide women with training in drawing and other skills and abilities that might prove useful to them when seeking employment in the service of industry."
In 1877, the School became an independent institution, and the following year it moved into its own building at H.C. Andersens Boulevard 10 (Vester Bouldevard).
In 1889, the School's name was changed to The School of Drawing and Art Industry for Women. However, the School's name reverted to The School of Drawing and Art Industry when men were given access to the School in 1961.
1930 - The School of Arts and Crafts
Was established in 1930 by the merger of The Craft School of the Danish Museum of Decorative Art and The Technical Society's Schools' department of art industry. The School was based in premises rented from the Danish Museum of Decorative Art in Bredgade. In 1940, parts of the educational programmes were transferred to Jacob Dannefærdsvej.
From 1950 onwards, the School was gradually brought together in Linnesgade 2 (Ahlefeldtsgade).
1934 - The School of Interior Design
Was founded in 1934 as a private school on the initiative of the architect H. Willerup. In 1943, the School moved into premises leased from Frederiksberg Technical School at the address Falstersvej 5, Frederiksberg. In 1949, the School became a department of the Frederiksberg Technical School.
1967 - The School of Arts and Crafts and Art Industry (Kunsthåndværker og Kunstindustriskolen)
Was created in 1967 by the merger of The School of Drawing and Art Industry and The School of Arts and Crafts.
The Schools were placed under a joint pedagogical leader whilst the administration was managed by Copenhagen Technical School.
1973 - The School of Decorative Art (Skolen for Brugskunst)
The School of Arts and Crafts and Art Industry finally merged in 1973 at the founding of the independent institution The School of Decorative Art. Whilst the pedagogical management was retained, a new Board, School Council, and administration were established.
1989 - Danmarks Designskole
In 1989, a new Ministry of Education Executive Order took effect, and The School of Decorative Art and The School of Interior Design were merged into one school on 1 July 1990 under the name of Danmarks Designskole.
In 1998, Danmarks Designskole passed from the auspices of the Ministry of Education to the Ministry of Culture, and the following year it went from being an independent to a Government institution.
2000 - Focus on research
Since 2000 the Danmarks Designskole has had an increased focus on research, and this was the year when the school set the goal of achieving academic status. The first plan of research and development was issued in 2003 and paved the way for the school's academic profile.
2010 - Danmarks Designskole is accredited as a higher education
In 2010, Danmarks Designskole was accredited as a higher education. This means that the training at the Danish Design changes status to a bachelor's and master's degree.
2010 - Glass and Ceramics School merged with Danmarks Designskole
On the 1rst of January 2010, the Danish Design School and the Glass and Ceramics School on Bornholm merged into one institution under the Ministry of Culture named Danmarks Designskole.
2011 - Danmarks Designskole merge to become part of the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts Schools of Architecture, Design and Conservation
On June 2nd, 2011 Danmarks Designskole merged with the School of Architecture and Art School of Conservation for The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts Schools of Architecture, Design and Conservation (KADK).